How We Reface Kitchen Cabinets
Many homes, especially older homes have laminate cabinets throughout their kitchens. And while laminate kitchen cabinet doors often look nice and are quite durable, after a certain amount of time they can get scratched, dull or faded. However, when it comes to laminate cabinets, kitchen cabinet refinishing is often not an option. Laminate is made with plastic layers that are not easily painted.
Therefore, oftentimes the only feasible solution is refacing cabinets by covering it with a new laminate or veneer. Our professionals at Let’s Face It can tackle this cabinet refacing project for you and save you the time, hassle and tedious work involved in preparation for it! We carry the proper tools and most coordinated strategies for refacing cabinets, which make our process cost effective and time efficient.
Listed below are some of the generic steps involved in our professional cabinet refacing services:
- We remove the cabinet doors by using a screwdriver to remove door hinges from the cabinets and set the doors, shelves and other parts gently aside.
- We buff the laminated surfaces with either a small sander or with 100 grit sandpaper. This will remove the shine as well as any grime so that you can refinish the exterior.
- We measure each section of the cabinet that you would like veneered and then use these measurements on pieces of veneer.
- We cut the pieces of veneer out from the back using your utility knife. We keep the wax paper intact on the cutouts.
- We place the first piece of veneer and place it in the correct area. Then peel off the top few inches of wax paper and press the veneer to the cabinet face.
- We peel the remaining paper from underneath while simultaneously pressing the veneer to the surface, once the whole piece is secure, roll over it with a rolling pin to make sure that it is stuck in place evenly.
- If there are any sections overhanging, we cut it off with the utility knife.
- Then we repeat this process for the remaining sections of your kitchen. Once were done, we properly reinstall all door hinges and hardware into the original positions.
For a quick and revitalizing kitchen remodeling project, kitchen cabinet refacing can bring new life to your kitchen and is quite easy and affordable when you have the experts, like LFI Kitchens professionals, handle it for you!